For the three sects of Buddhism, each have their scriptures. Mahayana Buddhism uses Theravada scriptures and adds to them many sutras. Vajrayana uses Mahayana scriptures and adds to them many tantric texts. Each contributed the following...
- Main scriptures: Tipitaka
- Popular: Dhammapada- Sayings of Buddha
- Main scriptures: Sutras (sacred texts)- 2184 sacred writings.
- Lotus Sutra- A sermon by the Buddha on Bodhisattva, buddha-nature, etc.
- Perfection of Wisdom Sutra (Prajna-paramita)- Describes emptiness and others.
- Popular: Heart Sutra- Describes nirvana, emptiness, and Ultimate Reality.
- "Land of Bliss" Sutra- Describes the Pure Land of Amitabha Buddha.
- Tantric texts and commentaries- Deals mainly with Ultimate Reality as singular Unity, and the sexual union of world (male) and cosmos (female).
- Great Stages of Enlightenment- Deals with ethical behavior and control of mind.
- Tibetan Book of the Dead- Deals with stages of dying, death, and rebirth.