Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 1GB
The Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 1GB (or the more recent 2GB and 4GB) is one of those flash memory devices that came to the market at
the right time to fill a major need. The 1GB and 2GB hit the memory barrier
needed by most technology enthusiasts. When purchasing this item, make sure it comes with with
the Memory Stick Duo Adaptor if you do not already have one. This adaptor allows you to insert the
card inside it and use it
with the bigger size standard Memory Stick (Pro) stick slots like those found on the
Sony VAIO notebooks and some CyberShot digital cameras.
The "Duo" is the magic word that differenciates the smaller size of this flash-based memory card from
the bigger sized cousin. Note that the Sony PSP (Playstation Portable)
comes with this "duo" sized memory stick slot.
First time users may become confused on what all the various naming of the memory sticks mean. Here is a quick guide:
- Memory Stick: The original Memory Stick (128MB max)
- Memory Stick Duo: Half the size of a regular Memory Stick (128MB max)
- Memory Stick Pro: A higher capacity and higher speed version regular Memory Stick (32GB max)
- Memory Stick Pro Duo: A higher capacity version of Memory Stick Duo (32GB max).
After the initial releases, different features were incorporated into the memory stick. The following
provides a list of them along with who branded them.
- MagicGate: Provides digital media protection features for ATRAC songs and other protected content (Sony/Sandisk)
- High Speed: A very high speed version (Sony)
- Ultra (II/III): Memory Sticks provide faster read/write speed (Sandisk)
- Extreme (II/III): Memory Sticks that can withstand very high and low temperatures (Sandisk)
Sandisk memory stick discussion group
For those that have questions or with to discuss memory sticks, visit the Technology Depot.