PS3 Firmware 2.50
Released Oct 12, 2008
• You now have an option to set the PS3™ system to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system under [Users] > [Turn Off System] while content is being downloaded or installed.
• [BD/DVD Settings] has been renamed to [Video Settings].
• Under [Video Settings], the [Cinema Conversion] option has been renamed to [BD/DVD Cinema Conversion] and the [Upscale] option has been renamed to [BD/DVD Upscaler].
• [Sequential Playback] has been added as an option under [Video Settings].
• [DivX® VOD Registration Code] has been added under [System Settings]. You must use this registration code to authenticate and register the PS3™ system to be able to play video files that are compatible with the DivX® VOD (Video On Demand) service on your system. For details, visit the DivX® website.
* DivX, DivX Certified, and associated logos are trademarks of DivX, Inc. and are used under license.
• [Power Save Settings] has been added as an option under [Settings]. To save power, the PS3™ system and wireless controllers can be set to turn off automatically after a certain period of inactivity.
• Under [Accessory Settings] > [Audio Device Settings], the method for reconnecting Bluetooth® devices has been changed.
• Under [Accessory Settings] > [Keyboard Type], you can now choose the following keyboard types: [German Keyboard (Switzerland)], [French Keyboard (Canada)] and [French Keyboard (Switzerland)].
• Under [Printer Settings] > [Printer Selection], you can now select printers that support network connectivity. You can also select HP printers using the [HP] option.
• You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel (or the mini-size control panel).
• [Pause] has been added as an icon on the mini-size control panel.
• You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel.
• [Scene Search] has been added as an option on the control panel.
• You can now use the [Mosquito Noise Reduction] setting for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. Use this setting to reduce mosquito noise that appears on the edges of visual images.
• During BD (BDAV) and DVD playback, a technique known as “chroma upsampling” is now automatically selected based on the movement of objects within the video content and then applied to enhance images in the content.
• [Sync with Server] has been added as an option under [Trophy Collection].
• By pressing the PS button while playing PLAYSTATION®3 format software, you can now view information from the [Settings and Connection Status List] option under [Network Settings].*
* This feature is not available for use with some PLAYSTATION®3 format software.
• Support for Adobe® Flash® Player 9 has been added to [Internet Browser].*
* “Adobe” and “Flash” are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
• The way to disable the automatic sign-in option and the way to sign out from PlayStation®Network have been changed.
• In PlayStation®Store, the design of the [View Downloads] and [View Cart] buttons has been changed, and a [Redeem Codes] button has been added.
• You can now view information about the most recent sign-in for Friends who are on your Friends list.*
* If you do not set the correct date and time in the [Date and Time] settings under [Settings] > [Date and Time Settings], this information may not be displayed.
• Support for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset - This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode.
• PlayStation Trophies interface enhancements - On 1st part of the profile page you’ll see a symbol under level that represents level and the actual percentage towards the next level along with the existing level meter. The level symbol carries over to the trophy comparison screen where you will now be able to see your level, your friend’s level and the percentage towards the next level for both users along with all of the game by game comparison information you see today.
• Video – This update adds the Scene Search feature similar to the feature on the PSP. Activating this feature while viewing a video on the PS3 will break the video up into scenes that you can quickly access by pressing the X button. You can break the videos into one, two or five minute intervals. In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.
• PlayStation Store – We’ve added a redeem codes option right on the store to make it easier to redeem your PlayStation Network Cards and promotion codes. In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.
• A special Recovery Menu is added to the PS3. While PS3 is in standby mode, press and hold power button for 3 beeps, repeat until you hear two short beeps, then release power button. The extra menu options are: Restart System, Restore Default Settings, Restore File System, Rebuild Database, Restore PS3 System, and System Update.
• Information Board content now has ability to link to PlayStation Store items.
• EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format) information can be displayed from photos.
• In-game screen shots now supported in compatible PS3 games.
• Running AVCHD BD-J Java programs from external drive disabled.