Poem Summary: Old Testament
- In Genesis the world was made by God's creative hand;
- In Exodus the Hebrews marched to gain the promised land;
- Leviticus contains the Law, holy and just and good;
- Numbers records the tribes enrolled-all sons of Abraham's blood.
- Moses in Deuteronomy records God's mighty deeds
- Brave Joshua into Canaan's land the host of Israel leads.
- In Judges their rebellion oft provoked the Lord to smite,
- But Ruth records the faith of one well-pleasing in his sight.
- In First and Second Samuel of Jesse's son we read:
- Ten tribes in First and Second Kings revolted from his seed.
- Next, First and Second Chronicles see Judah captive made,
- But Ezra heads a remnant back by princely Cyrus' aid.
- The city walls of Zion Nehemiah builds again;
- While Esther saves her people from plots of wicked men.
- In Job we read how faith will live beneath affliction's rod,
- And in the Psalms are precious songs to every child of God,
- The Proverbs, like a goodly string of choicest pearls, appear.
- Ecclesiastes teaches man how vain are all things here.
- The mystic Song of Solomon exalts sweet Sharon's Rose:
- Whilst Christ the Saviour and the King the 'rapt Isaiah' shows.
- The warning Jeremiah apostate Israel scorns;
- His plaintive Lamentations their awful downfall mourns.
- Ezekiel tells in wondrous words of dazzling mysteries;
- And kings and empires yet to come, Daniel in vision sees.
- Of judgement and of mercy Hosea loves to tell;
- Joel describes the blessed days when God with man will dwell
- Among Tekoa's herdsmen Amos received his call,
- And Obadiah prophesies of Edom's final fall.
- Jonah enshrines a wondrous type of Christ our risen Lord;
- Micah pronounces Judah lost-lost, but again restored.
- Nahum declared on Nineveh just judgement shall be poured.
- A view of Chaldea's coming doom Habakkuk's viions give;
- Next Zephaniah warns the Jews to turn, repent and live.
- Haggai wrote to those who saw the temple built again,
- And Zechariah prophesied of Christ's triumphant reign.
- Malachi was the last who touched the high prophetic chord
- Whose final notes sublimely show the coming of the Lord.
Poem Summary: New Testament
- Matthew and Mark and Luke and John the holy Gospels wrote,
- Describing how the Saviour died-his life and what he taught.
- Acts proves how God the Apostles owned with signs in every place.
- St Paul in Romans teaches us how mean is saved by grace.
- Th'apostle in Corinthians instructs, exhorts, reproves;
- Galatians shows that faith in Christ alone, the Father loves.
- Ephesians and Philippians tell what Christians ought to be.
- Colossians bids us live to God and for eternity,
- In Thessalonians we are taught the Lord will come from heaven.
- In Timothy and Titus a bishop's rule is given.
- Philemon markes a Christian's love which only Christians know.
- Hebrews reveals the Gospel as prefigured by the Law.
- St James insists that without deeds faith is but vain and dead:
- And Peter points the narrow way in which the saints are led.
- St John in his epistles on love delights to dwell,
- And Jude gives awful warning of judgement, wrath and hell.
- The Revelation prophesies of that tremendous day
- When Christ, and Christ alone, shall be the trembling sinner's stay.