On the Subject of Dreams
A Master and disciple are sitting near a stream...
There is a long silence as the disciple took in these words, and then
a big smile forms on his face.
- What is troubling you my favorite one?
- I feel a deep wound in my being. For all my life I have been
conditioned to think one way, and all of a sudden someone said something
that was like a slap in my face. I tried to reject it, but is was like
an arrow that has penetrated my inner soul. It made me angry and I
immediately fought against the words.
- Is what this person said true?
- It can't be! For it goes counter to everything I have learned,
everything that I have lived for. My whole life I have been living for
certain truths that have been dear to me.
- And why do you fight it?
- To hold on to my truths and my values... my existence depends on
what I hold dear to my heart. I cling to these values because they define
who I am, what I do, what I represent. My confidence, my self-esteem,
everything would crumble down if what this person said was true.
What am I if I were not to hold on to ME, the things I believe in?
- What are you if you were to wake from a dream?